Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Having to show ID to purchase disposable plastic knives at the supermarket

Started by Frood, March 17, 2019, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

Is fcking ridiculous.  :001_rolleyes:

I was at a self checkout machine and an alert popped up on the screen calling for an attendant to check ID.

Is this what we've become?

Get me off of this stupid planet asap!
Blahhhhhh...

Wazzzup

From the Daily Mail UK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5497897/Woolworths-supermarket-doesnt-let-minors-buy-plastic-knives.html">https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nives.html">https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5497897/Woolworths-supermarket-doesnt-let-minors-buy-plastic-knives.html
QuoteWoolworths self-serve checkouts asks for proof of age to buy plastic knives..The supermarket stops people at the checkout when scanning through cutlery.  However Australian law does not prohibit the sale of plastic knives to minors. According to retailer, it is only following laws which stops minors buying knives

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that any product with the keyword 'knife' will be flagged at the self-serve checkout and will require attendant approval before purchase.

Same deal in the UK as Aus.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Gaon

Quote from: "Wazzzup"From the Daily Mail UK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5497897/Woolworths-supermarket-doesnt-let-minors-buy-plastic-knives.html">https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... nives.html">https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5497897/Woolworths-supermarket-doesnt-let-minors-buy-plastic-knives.html
QuoteWoolworths self-serve checkouts asks for proof of age to buy plastic knives..The supermarket stops people at the checkout when scanning through cutlery.  However Australian law does not prohibit the sale of plastic knives to minors. According to retailer, it is only following laws which stops minors buying knives

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that any product with the keyword 'knife' will be flagged at the self-serve checkout and will require attendant approval before purchase.

Same deal in the UK as Aus.

How about a plastic fork? You can poke someone in the eye with one of those dangerous things. :laugh3:
The Russian Rock It

JOE

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Is fcking ridiculous.  :001_rolleyes:

I was at a self checkout machine and an alert popped up on the screen calling for an attendant to check ID.

Question: Does Australia have laws for REAL knives as well?

If you buy a knife with a metal blade do you have to show id too?

Gaon

Quote from: "JOE"

If they have to show ID for plastic knives, they must have to do the same for real knives. Probably have to register them too.
The Russian Rock It

Frood

Quote from: "Gaon"

If they have to show ID for plastic knives, they must have to do the same for real knives. Probably have to register them too.

Yes, and no: not yet.
Blahhhhhh...

Gaon

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"

If I wanted to buy a real knife, could I simply walk into a store and do that, no questions asked?
The Russian Rock It

Frood

If I wanted to buy a real knife, could I simply walk into a store and do that, no questions asked?

Depends on the store's policy but generally yes. It all stems from a fear of adolescents acquiring knives. Because Australians treat youth quite unfairly on a cultural level.

Similar thing happened with prepaid burner SIM cards for mobile phones years ago. A lot of shops demanded ID before they would even sell you one but it wasn't the law, not exactly at least. Nobody bothers anymore with that though.
Blahhhhhh...

Gaon

Depends on the store's policy but generally yes. It all stems from a fear of adolescents acquiring knives. Because Australians treat youth quite unfairly on a cultural level.

Similar thing happened with prepaid burner SIM cards for mobile phones years ago. A lot of shops demanded ID before they would even sell you one but it wasn't the law, not exactly at least. Nobody bothers anymore with that though.

It's not law, just retail policy with large retailers.
The Russian Rock It

Frood

It's not law, just retail policy with large retailers.

Bit of both. The retailers go further than the law.
Blahhhhhh...

feral

I have a steak knife in my glove box...2 actually.

One for each hand...ninja style lol..( jks)

Not sure why I put them in there...I guess I need to be aware of being pulled over now and getting a ticket for carrying weapons..

Bricktop

Dude, that is definitely an offence, and my advice would be to remove them asap.

Having a prior for "Carrying an offensive weapon" in this day and age is a curse you will carry for life.

Trust me on this, you would not be the first to be pinched for carrying such implements in your glove box.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Dude, that is definitely an offence, and my advice would be to remove them asap.

Having a prior for "Carrying an offensive weapon" in this day and age is a curse you will carry for life.

Trust me on this, you would not be the first to be pinched for carrying such implements in your glove box.

For a steak knife or two in the glove box.

ac_wot

Bricktop

Carrying any knife without lawful purpose is an offence. Read the words carefully (as with all laws)...it does not say "carrying a knife FOR AN UNLAWFUL PURPOSE" but the opposite...this has the effect of placing the onus on the carrier to prove that the 2 steak knives were being carried for a SPECIFIC and LAWFUL reason. Unless one is on the way to a dinner where cutlery is not supplied, that lawful purpose is going to be hard to prove.

In this day and age, the cops are going to take no chances. Steak knife, pocket knife, box cutter...no lawful purpose and you're knicked.

And also in the modern age, checking the glove box and boot of detained vehicles is SOP.

Even for traffic stops.